This burns me up.
Chicago: The most crooked political machine in the country.
They don't even TRY TO HIDE their crooked deals.
In 2003, Ald. Brian Doherty (41st), a die-hard Sox fan, turned down the chance to purchase Cubs' playoff tickets from the team at face value. He never heard the end of it from his wife, a Cubs fanatic.
"I paid dearly for my wife. ... I had to go out in the private market and go get some" tickets, he said.
This time, Doherty will err on the side of domestic tranquility.
He's taking the Cubs up on their offer to let each of the 50 aldermen -- and a handful of state legislators who represent the area surrounding Wrigley Field --- purchase a pair of tickets at face value for as long as the team stays alive in the postseason.
Prices will depend on where the seats are located.
For the divisional championships, it's $40 for terrace reserve; $50 for bleacher seats and $85 for club boxes. NLCS tickets will be $55 for terrace reserve and $115 for club boxes. World Series prices were not known.
"It's one of the perks that come with the job," Doherty said.
Doherty isn't the only die-hard Sox fan planning to take advantage of the Cubs' offer.
Ald. Frank Olivo (13th) might do the same -- even though his political patron, state House Speaker Michael J. Madigan (D-Chicago), has his own Cub tickets and might "let me use 'em."
"I'm a baseball fan. I love baseball. I was in St. Louis. I go all over to watch baseball. I'm very excited. I hope they make it. I hope they go all the way. I'd love to see the Cubs vs. the Yankees because my son's a Yankee fan," Olivo said.
South Side Ald. Howard Brookins (21st) is another Sox fan who loves baseball more than he hates the Cubs.
"It is a monumental occasion for the city of Chicago -- especially if this is actually the year. It would be history in the making," Brookins said.
Mike Lufrano, vice president of community relations for the Cubs, said the offer made to aldermen mirrors the one made four years ago.
That's when the Cubs were five outs away from the World Series before the infamous Steve Bartman incident and the ensuing collapse that lifted the Florida Marlins into the World Series.
"We do it as a courtesy to the aldermen. But, we also believe this is a citywide celebration. So, it's appropriate for aldermen, as representatives of the city, to have a chance to participate in the celebration," Lufrano said.
Chicago aldermen landmarked historic portions of Wrigley Field. They approved a 1,790-seat bleacher expansion and gave the Cubs the go-ahead to play 30 night games each year. If additional seats are added, they'll have to approve those, too.
Even so, most aldermen have no qualms about taking advantage of the offer. Not even as their Cubs-crazed constituents fight crowds on the Internet, pay through the nose to ticket brokers or watch the games on TV.
"I don't want anybody giving me a ticket, but if you pay for it," it's not a conflict, said Ald. Ed Smith (28th).
Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) was among the few aldermen interviewed Tuesday with no immediate plans to take advantage of the Cubs' offer.
"I'm a season-ticket holder. I've already got my tickets," he said.

<< Home