WardWideWeb

This blog is in no way, shape, or form a democracy. This blog is a dictatorship, or maybe just a monarchy. At any rate, I am HRH. I own this blog. Whether you agree or disagree with me, you are welcome to comment provided a) you are an adult and b) you can act like one. NO personal attacks, no drunken rants, and mild expletives only, please. Otherwise, you'll be deleted, banned, or drawn and quartered. My choice.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Reversion.

I frequently change my little inspirational phrase at the top of this blog. You may have noticed that I changed it yesterday to a comment I saw on a blog one day that was so astute that I never forgot it.
If, as a Catholic, you cannot name just one single truth taught by the Catholic Church to which you subscribe based solely on your faith in and obedience to the Magisterium, then you are either destined for the pearly gates or not Catholic at all.

You either have such an amazing brilliance as to clearly see each and every article of faith as common sense, or you don't subscribe to one or more articles of faith, period.

I used to disagree with 90% of Catholic teaching. Oh, I loved being "Catholic". My dogs had St. Francis medals. I got ashes on Ash Wednesday. It never crossed my mind to protest and leave.

But, by disagreeing with fundamental Catholic teaching, I excluded myself from the real "club", and elevated myself above every Pope in 2,o00 years, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Catherine Siena, St. Thomas More, and all their heavenly company. I also elevated myself above Christ, who instituted this Church with rules and customs and truths which I had no right to doubt.

I don't recall exactly when the lightbulb appeared my head. I do recall that it was after many, many conversations with my sister, during which she patiently and repeatedly affirmed the truths of the Church.

It was also after reading (parts of) the Summa Theologica.
It was also after reading a few Scott Hahn books.
It was also after listening to Christopher West speak.

I thought perhaps I could find the flaw, the crack in Church teaching.
If I could just find one tiny flaw, that would be self-justification.
I studied and studied. Read and read.

And do you know what? I still haven't found that flaw.

But instead of accepting, say, Church teaching on birth control because I was becoming a better Catholic, (which I would love to say) I actually began accepting the teachings based on common sense. Suddenly, I began seeing the intelligence of it all, how it all made perfect sense. I understood that, in contrast to what I had been told over and over again by society, the Church was teaching what she taught because she wanted me to be happy and healthy so that I could serve God as He intended.

Suddenly, it became like a torrent. This made sense! That made sense! It all started to come together. I started to see not just pieces of color, but the entire picture, as though I were completing a jigsaw puzzle.
Church teaching was amazingly, startlingly brilliant. It was the only completely flawless Truth I had seen in all my years.

In hindsight, this makes sense, duh. It was started by Jesus.

The fact of the matter is that you are not smarter than the Church. You do not possess the 2,000 (5,000, if you include our Old Testament foundation) years of cumulative work and inspiration. The thoughts in your head, particularly if they are contrary to Church teaching, are not inspired by the Holy Spirit.
You are not a prophet, and you have never healed a leper. (If you are, or if you do, you're in the wrong place.)

By being contrary to Church teaching, you are not only excluding yourself from the riches and treasure of the Church of Christ.
You are denying yourself the path to true happiness and joy.
You'd be saying that your 20 or 30 or 70 years of cumulative personal knowledge is superior to the deposit of faith of the Catholic Church. And you'd be wrong.

Here's the good news: if you are in a spot where you are struggling with the Church in any way, you can ask for help, and you will receive it. God sent the Holy Spirit to us for just such a situation. Avail yourself of what He offers. He offers you a lifeline - take it.