Rubber Soul.
Once we started talking, something occurred to me.
I once read that artificial birth control is the modern-day equivalent of the Roman vomitorium. In both cases, something good and holy (sex and food, respectively) are perverted and twisted into something vile and evil.
In the vomitorium, Romans misused food, wanting not its natural end (nourishment for their bodies), but momentary gratification of taste.
In artificial birth control, people misuse sex, wanting not its natural end (children), but momentary gratification.
No single form of birth control better illustrates the vomitorium analogy than the condom.
But more than that, a condom (unlike the Pill) provides a true, physical barrier between husband and wife. No longer have the two become one. Now, a husband is saying to his wife, "I don't want all of you", and a wife responds in kind.
With a condom, God's hand is violently slapped away from its holy work.
When a man uses a condom, he says to his wife, "The pleasure which I receive from this sex act is my ultimate goal. Everything else is secondary."
I hear stories from women at work about how they "wanted to sleep last night, but their husband wouldn't have it." I have to wonder what kind of men these women married, and how it might feel to be treated as though I am there for my husband's physical pleasure.
A husband, who is supposed to reflect the love of Jesus for His bride, the Church, wants to make his wife, not himself, happy. A good husband doesn't expect his wife to be available for sex 24 hours a day, nor even when she had a headache, or is tired.
A good husband has self-control and knows how to abstain for love of his bride.
(Of course, this applies to the wife as well.)
(Interestingly, study after study has shown that couples who use NFP have infinitely more sex than couples who use ABC. They also have a divorce rate of less than 3%. Basically, if you want to have a lot of sex and stay married, you'd better look into NFP.)
I would feel unloved and unwanted if my husband ever suggested condoms.
I would feel as though there were a part of me which repulsed him, which he had to create a barrier for.
I don't want to feel that kind of worthlessness.

<< Home